Dr. Nomura believes in thorough assessments that consider a variety of possibilities. He takes time to carefully interview you and understand all of your concerns and observations. He believes that his assessments are only as good as his relationship with your child, and he works hard to make the process enjoyable for them.
All evaluations are conducted over several testing sessions. Dr. Nomura uses multiple well-known instruments to provide extra certainty and peace of mind. Dr. Nomura takes to time to listen carefully to all concerns. He believes that, to evaluate a child or adolescent, he must study the client and not just the referral concern. Dr. Nomura approaches each assessment with warmth and compassion. Dr. Nomura wants to provide more than a diagnostic answer. He wants to identify the client’s unique strengths and areas for change. Dr. Nomura provides time to review the report and all the findings with parents in person. Dr. Nomura’s evaluations usually take a few weeks to complete, but he believes that providing the best care to his clients is worth the wait.
Dr. Nomura has extensive experience conducting comprehensive psychological evaluations. His expertise in evaluating disorders such as ADHD/ADD, emotional/behavioral disorders, and Autism is regularly sought by colleagues. He was assigned to the special campuses for emotionally disturbed students and developmentally disabled students at a large area school district. He was selected by colleagues to train doctoral level interns in psychological and educational evaluation. He also is an adjunct professor for University of Houston where he regularly teaches a class on psychological disorders.
Dr. Nomura provides thorough assessments using gold-standard instruments. Through his consultation with schools, he is regularly consulted to determine the adequacy of private psychological assessments. He understands what is necessary to create assessment reports that can be trusted by families, will inform effective treatment, and can solicit services from schools and other agencies. Dr. Nomura provides detailed reports, often 15 to 25 pages, that clearly address difficult differential diagnostic issues and delineate diagnostic rationale which is understandable to clients and credible to other clinicians and agencies. He believes in transparency, providing the results from every test and identifying any significant discrepancies or uncertainties. Also, Dr. Nomura will set aside a full session to review all results with you in person.
Dr. Nomura can evaluate clients for the full range of concerns, including:
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD, ADD)
- Disruptive Behavior Disorders (Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder)
- Mood Disorders (Depression, Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder, Bipolar Disorders)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (Pervasive Developmental Disorders, Autism, Asperger’s Disorder, PDD-NOS)
- Social Pragmatic Communication Disorder
- Anxiety Disorders (Generalized [GAD], Panic D/O, PTSD, Selective Mutism)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Related Disorders
- Learning (Specific Learning Disorder, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia) and Intellectual Disabilities
- Tourette’s Disorder
- Psychotic Disorders (Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective Disorder)
- Personality Disorders (Borderline, Antisocial, Dependent, Schizotypal, etc.)
Not all client concerns constitute a “mental disorder.” Dr. Nomura considers a variety of factors when evaluating each client’s unique needs.