CLICK HERE to schedule ADHD testing appointments.
Dr. Nomura offers comprehensive ADD and ADHD evaluations in Cypress, Texas. ADHD testing always includes a developmental history, interviews, and observations. Usually, ADHD assessments also include IQ (cognitive tests), ADHD rating scales, computer ADHD tests (CPT tests), emotional and behavioral rating scales, tests of executive functioning, tests of memory, and/or academic achievement tests. When Dr. Nomura suspects other emotional or behavioral problems are present, testing may include personality tests or projective assessment.
Careful Consideration of Symptoms
Dr. Nomura carefully considers all possible causes of the symptoms (differential diagnosis). Some health care providers may diagnose ADHD by interviewing parents or observing the child for a while in the office. Some providers may even diagnose ADHD based primarily on a computer ADHD test. Diagnoses provided from such procedures are not always reliable or valid. Also, when ADHD is subtle, it can be easily missed but still have a significant impact on school performance or social development. Even when a child appears to clearly have ADHD, testing is needed to ensure that the symptoms are not part of another condition or shared with another condition (co-morbidity). The following are some examples:
- Children with learning disorders often appear to have ADHD.
- Children who are gifted may be inattentive due to boredom or interest in other activities, but they can also be both gifted and ADHD.
- For some children, ADHD difficulties lead to the development of other behavioral disorders, such as oppositional defiant disorder and conduct disorder. Also, for children with other behavioral disorders, ADHD diagnosis may appear to be appropriate when it is not. Dr. Nomura can determine whether these other conditions are present or whether a child with ADHD is at greater risk for developing these other behavioral disorders.
- Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (including PDD-NOS) often appear as though they have ADHD. Similarly, ADHD can cause significant social deficits, and ADHD children may “look autistic.”
- Children with mood disorders sometimes appear to have ADHD symptoms. Mood disorders include Depression and Bipolar disorder. The following are designated core symptoms of mood disorders, which are sometimes misattributed to ADHD: difficulty concentrating; psychomotor agitation (restlessness, purposeless movement); talkativeness; distractibility; and racing thoughts. Sleep disturbances are also common for both ADHD and mood problems.
- Children with anxiety may have difficulty focusing. Perfectionism or fear of failure may slow their work.
- Children who are stressed, traumatized, being bullied, or being negatively influenced by peers may present with some symptoms of ADHD.
Dr. Nomura’s reports are exceptionally thorough, and include:
- A summary section that explains the scores and provides clear reasons for specific diagnoses (diagnostic rationale).
- A summary that incorporates a child’s unique personality/strengths.
- Recommendations for proven (research supported) strategies and treatments for identified problems.
- Recommendations for educational accommodations and strategies.
- Eligibility considerations for school services.
- A list of each client’s unique strengths and areas to target for change.
- A description of all tests administered and a discussion of the findings.
- A list of any appropriate diagnoses.
- An appendix with a complete presentation of all scores from all tests given.
- A description of any significant limitations to certainty, when present in the data.
The Right Choice
Parents in Cypress, Texas have many options for providers when considering ADHD testing. Dr. Nomura is an excellent choice for parents who want to be certain that they are getting the best, most reliable testing available.
- Dr. Nomura is a Licensed Psychologist and a Board Certified Behavior Analyst.
- Dr. Nomura specializes in working with children and adolescents. He is a Licensed Specialist in School Psychology and a Nationally Certified School Psychologist. He can make recommendations to increase success at school.
- Dr. Nomura has been conducting ADHD assessments since 2005. He has evaluated hundreds of children, and he limits the number evaluated each month to spend time to build relationships with his clients and understand their uniqueness.
- Child evaluations are a passion for Dr. Nomura, and he loves helping families find answers. He spends hours on each child’s assessment and data analysis. He has carefully planned an assessment process to be both exceptionally thorough and also enjoyable for most children. It is common for children to want to return after testing is completed.
- Area schools have depended on Dr. Nomura’s expertise for assessments, training interns, training post-doctoral students, leading assessment groups, and providing expert consultation.
- Dr. Nomura has broad experience (clinical, school, residential)
- Dr. Nomura’s experience in the schools has given him the opportunity to follow children over long periods of time. This has given him the opportunity to re-test children and compare his impressions and diagnoses to colleagues. Such peer scrutiny is a testament to the accuracy of his testing.
- Dr. Nomura’s role as a trainer and assessment group leader requires him to judge the adequacy of many other psychologists’ evaluations. He understands what is necessary to ensure a thorough assessment and reliable diagnosis.
If you are concerned that your child may have ADHD, please contact us today.
Dr. Nomura provides ADHD evaluations, ADD assessment, and other psychological testing to families in Cypress, Texas.
This article is not intended to be medical or psychological advice.
Persons appearing in images are actors/models, not clients.